Lately I’ve really been trying to get my head focused around healthy eating, uni has literally destroyed every ounce of a healthy eating routine that I once had. But what most people are aware of that have tried to diet or have a lifestyle change, is that finding food that is tasty and healthy is next to impossible. I’ve realised that my intake of Carbs is wayyyyyy to much and probably more than I should have. Living in an italian family I’m constantly surrounded by pizza and plenty of pasta (CARB CRAZY!) So I’m taking it upon myself to kind of stay away from eating these things and reward it more as a treat once a week. Also, another bad habit of mine is skipping breakfast. Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day and to be honest their right. It gives you the fuel to power yourself through university, work or whatever other commitments you may have. I’ve even changed my views when eating out. The other day I went to Chiquitos, a Mexican inspired restaurant and I found one of the most tasty, kindaaa healthy meals ever! It consisted of a whole chicken breast marinated in different spices, on a bed of grilled vegetables and chorizo. Obviously I don’t know the recipe but since this meal was so delicious I decided to re-create it myself, in a fuss-free, easy way. So here you go guys, my version of Chiquitos, Chicken and Chorizo Salad.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- A hand full of pre-packeted salad (washed)
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 Small stick of chorizo, cut into thin slices
- Mexican spice mix
- Mild chilli Powder
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Fry Light spray
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley to garnish
- Flatten out your chicken breast and coat in the Mexican spice, chilli powder and salt and pepper.
- Spray the Fry Light onto the pan and place the chicken breast in the centre. After a few minutes of frying the chicken, add the cut chorizo and spring onions. Flip over the chicken to cook the other side.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, wash the salad and mix with salt and pepper, place this in a line across the centre of a large plate.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice into thin slices diagonally and place this onto of the salad. Evenly distribute the chorizo and onion mix over the top, then sprinkle some fresh parsley to garnish.
There are many variations and extras you could add such as tomatoes to the salad, onions, cucumber or salsa on the side.
And there you go, simple and easy. This took me no longer than 15 minutes and is a great meal to cook for 2 or for friends, just simply times the ingredients by how many people you are cooking for. Let me know if you’ve tried this and what you thought!
Keep up to date with my posts by following me on BlogLovin! Links are below 🙂